3/30/12

Review: My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent

*The review is going to contain spoilers for the first book in the series, My Soul To Take*

I'm taking a part in The Soul Screamers Challenge at Fiktshun's blog. I should have read and review the book earlier but I totally forgot about that. So, I'm a little late. Anyway, My Soul To Take (Soul Screamers, #1) is one of my favorites book I've read in 2012. So it's not a real surprise for me to like the second book, My Soul To Save. Even though I though the first book was a lot better, I still enjoyed reading My Soul To Save.

My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2)Kaylee is a character I liked from the first chapters of the novella (prequel to the series). I admired her courage and the sacrifices she was willing to do for others. It hasn't changed much; Kaylee is still going to give up her life to save others, but sometimes in this book it looked stupid and unnecessary. I understood her motives and cheered for her, but I might find her to be too much reckless.

In the second book, we get to know some characters so well while the others are neglected. For instance, we learn a lot of stuff about Nash and Tod, about their past and their personality. However, Sophie and Emma aren't in the book as much as I hoped so. We hear about them from time to time but that's it. I think it's a shame since both are really good and interesting characters.

The plot was excellent. I liked to find more information about the Netherland and about Kaylee's abilities. The story moves quickly, there are hardly moments when the characters or you can relax, the mystery and the curiosity make you turn another page whether you like it or not. Between those events, I wish we could read more about Kaylee's lives, the normal things she does when she's not involved in paranormal missions.

And lastly, the series' timing bothers me. I know the actions need to be done quickly for the suspense and the mystery but I'd rather to have a book which tells about more that three-four days. There are developments which take time, and there's no need to rush them into the story.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and definitely going to read the other books in the series. This series is fantastic and I looking forward seeing where Rachel Vincent would take us next.


Btw, Have you been in the chat author with Rachel Vincent about My Soul to Take? If you've read My Soul to Save, you should visit the next chat. You can find more details in Rachel's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment