5/13/12

Review: Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler

"Sometimes I wonder if my whole life will pass by this way: me waiting in the shadows, waiting for something to happen. Waiting for someone else to make it happen. Something new or different or crazy or amazing. I've been there for so long, letting everyone else figure it out for me, floating along without much direction or conscious thought. Reacting. Attention-seeking, Mom calls it. Impulsive. Reckless."
(Fixing Delilah, Sarah Ockler, page 147)

I have read Bittersweet in January. When I finished the book, I was seeking another Sarah Ockler's book. That's how I've found Fixing Delilah. 

Delilah's family is a mess for the last eight years. When her grandmother died, Delilah and her mother don't have a choice but to come back to past and deal with it. As much as everyone wants to forget it. 

Fixing Delilah
Sarah Ockler's writing is just as great as I've remembered. We can enter Delilah's head pretty easily and it was no problem for me to relate to her most of the time. Her feelings were clear and from the beginning, I've admired her knowing exactly what she's believing and what she wants. In the same time, she is insecure and scared. She was human, a believable character.

Some parts of the plot was dragged. I mean, the author planned to pass two months so we've gotten some a-week-break between chapters. I didn't like it but it didn't affect the writing nor the story itself. Besides, I wish we saw more of some of the characters, some of the community's scenes and the way everyone has been acting. Recalling Delilah's memories was great for the plot. 

I'll say it straight: I loved Bittersweet. I only like Fixing Delilah. However, if you like contemporary, I recommend you to check this book out. I've enjoyed it and I thought it to be smart and has some good insights about life. 


1 comment: